niedziela, 21 października 2012

Quick handwarmers from an old sweater


I was about to throw it away, but then I came across Purl Bee's knitted handwarmes with zippers that inspired me to...... reuse my turtle-neck ( it's about 15 years old, and remembers my first days at university).

Last year I bought myself a pair of hand - warmers that I lost after a couple of months ( putting them in one's coat sleeve along with a scarf and a winter hat - not advisable :P ) and I really, really loved them, they were brown with white pattern here and there......what a loss..:(

This year, however, I have been concentrating on being thrifty and spending less money on things that I don't necessarily need and have been focusing on reusing, recycling, upcycling......you name it.





I had to make them close - fitting, cause the sweater arms stretched out a bit with time.



I could give them some personal touch since they look so dull.

But their only purpose is to give warmth to my hands.

Besides, they'll be hidden under my coat/ jacket sleeves so there is no point in embellishing them. :)




I sew them using sewing machine.

( Don't stretch the fabric while sewing.)

I used zig-zag stitch to finish the raw edges. ( in order to prevent fraying ).

Began sewing at the cuff. 



The seam allowance in the picture, is way too big. This way, the warmer will look 'bumpy' on your hand,

I just pressed it to one side and stitched it to fix it in place.









I don't want to waste the rest of my polo sweater and this part will serve as a material for my next two pairs of hand - warmers.

( If I had a cat or a dog I'd make a pillow and fill it with my fabric scraps and old pillow stuffing, it wouldn't be so plain like my hand - warmers - I'd use an applique and stitch my pet name on it, for example )



The white polo neck collar was knitted by my grandmother ( may she rest in peace ) I am going to cut out a similar shape from my sweater. It'a a great invention, especially on days like these - in the morning freezing cold, at noon hot summer :P I don't have to sweat under thick sweaters which, by the way, take up a lot of room in my bag. :) 




There are loads of tutorials out there on how to knit/ crochet handwarmers or upcycle used clothes to create quick hand garments.



Espanhol:

mitones/ guantes sin dedos

English

fingerless gloves








Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz